Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Working on Stained Glass Terrarium


I've always loved terrariums and have been making them since the 1970's. My first ones were in the big  water bottles that are delivered with spring water and put in dispensers. I can't believe how I ever got the plants in there and got them planted, but I must have done it somehow with sticks. One of my next ones was in a very large glass brandy snifter. That one existed on my coffee table for several years until my young son decided to push it off on the floor. More recently, I have purchased a large biology beaker with a cork in the top. I got a good deal on it at an estate sale. I plant to plant that one soon. I have also created a stained glass piece that will become a terrarium. I saw one similar in my Dwell magazine, and knew I had to try to make it in stained glass. I made the bottom pentagons in a dark purple glass and the upper ones in clear glass. The lid is hinged in order to reach in and plant it. I post more pictures once I get it planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment